Halloween is here! Jack- o-lanterns, haunted houses, pumpkin spice lattes, slutty nurse costumes, and candy. Lots and lots of candy.
And sure, candy tastes AMAZE-BALLS and Halloween is a great time to stock up on your pms stash, but, we have to keep something in mind here- our hormones. Halloween can be a lot of fun, but eating your kid’s big ass bag of candy (the candy is for the parents, right?), can throw your hormones enough out of balance that your pms next month can be severe.
In case you didn’t know, what you eat this month, will determine the severity of pms symptoms that you’ll experience next month. Gorging yourself on a bunch of sugar, or even eating it daily, can throw off your insulin levels, cortisol, and adrenals, interrupt essential sleep patterns and more. All of these things compound into one, big, moody, and cravy (totally a word) pms-ing you.
While I don’t believe in diets, I do believe in following a hormone-friendly lifestyle because hormones are what dictate how we feel. Hormones will determine if you are full of energy, or experience constant fatigue. If you’ll have a clear, focused mind, or experience ADD symptoms. If you’ll feel calm, balanced and in control all day long, or if you’ll experience wicked cravings, mood swings, and an inability to cope with stress properly.
Your quality of life is based on how balanced your hormones are. And since I want everyone to be able to wake up feeling good and loving their life, I don’t want something like Halloween to throw your hormones so off whack that you spend an entire month recovering from it. Because depending on where your hormones are, something as seemingly harmless as eating a bunch of candy on Halloween can cause you a month’s worth of mood swings, fatigue, low sex drive, and inability to lose weight. Hormones are that big of a dealio.
With that said, here are five tips for a hormone-friendly Halloween =)
1. During the Day, Eat Meals High in Protein and Healthy Fats. Protein and fats help keep cravings at bay, reduces hunger pangs, keeps you feeling full, signals to your brain that you are satisfied, and prevents you from shoving candy bar after candy bar after candy bar down your throat. The less candy you eat, the happier your hormones will be.
2. Drink Guayusa Tea Throughout the Day. Make yourself a couple cups of Guayusa tea, and sip it throughout the day. If you want a quick and effective way to curb appetite and burn some fat with minimal effort, Guayusa tea is your holy grail. Guayusa tea (pronounced gwhy-you-suh) has been drunk in the Amazon for thousands of years and is still an essential daily ritual and part of the Ecuadorian culture. Guayusa contains 50% more antioxidants than green tea and many people who drink it, report an overall feeling of focus, appetite suppression, a boost in metabolism, and increased energy. By drinking a couple of cups of Guayusa tea throughout the day, you’ll fill your body with a ton of antioxidants that will help fight some of the crappy chemicals in Halloween candy, as well as keep you focused and energized so you can crush your pre-trick-or-treating workout (see tip #3). Another benefit is that feeling of “well-being and happiness” that many people describe when drinking this tea (see Amazon reviews here for proof). This is important because if you feel good, you’ll do good. You’ll make better choices when it comes to your health. One caveat- Guayusa tea does contain caffeine so drink it mindfully and definitely not close to bedtime. Along with Guayusa tea, make sure to drink lots of water to flush everything out, reduce sugar headaches, and false hunger pains.
3. Workout. Go do whatever form of movement you enjoy for 30-60 minutes. It’s been scientifically proven that when you exercise it motivates and inspires you to make better choices. Exercising connects your mind with your body so later when you’re staring down a bag full of skittles and tootsie rolls, you’ll be more aware of your body and what you want to put in it. Also, if you’re planning on eating a bunch of candy, then make sure to workout BEFORE you eat. By working out first, some of the candy that you’ll eat will go towards replenishing your glycogen stores instead of being stored as pure body fat. You’ll also have a much better hormonal response to the sugar in the candy after a workout than if you hadn’t worked out at all.
4. Have a Green Smoothie. Let’s be realistic: you’re gonna want to eat some candy. By having a green smoothie, you’re preparing and fortifying your body with incredible nutrients that will come in handy later, when your system goes batshit crazy from all the sugar. Also, you’re less inclined to eat TONS of candy when you’ve been filling your day with good, healthy foods.
5. Eat Dessert First, Dinner Later. To avoid significant blood sugar crashes that will keep you and your kids awake all night, eat the candy FIRST and then end the evening with a high-protein dinner. The high protein meal will keep your blood sugar leveled and stable, slowing down the speed of the blood sugar crash, and helping to calm those midnight candy cravings.
If you’re interested in learning more about living a hormone-friendly lifestyle that reduces/eliminates pms, helps with digestive issues and chronic fatigue, clears acne, and helps you maintain your version of a healthy weight, please check out my best-selling guide called,
Alright ladies, now I want to hear from you. Leave a comment below telling me what you plan on dressing up as, and how many years that homemade costume took off your life 😉
Latest posts by Lynn Manning (see all)
- Retiring at 35 and 3 tips for making your dreams come true - May 6, 2018
- BENEFITS OF MEDICINAL MUSHROOMS AND HOW TO USE THEM - March 5, 2018
- 7 Benefits of Matcha Tea (and a few things to look out for) - January 22, 2018